Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Follow up post for 3/31

Eang's discussion of her upbringing shocked me in many ways.  For one thing, her discussion of poverty and harsh immigrant labor centered around Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  I've spent a lot of time in both those states; this made these labor issues even more realistic for me.  She discussed working as a child in blueberry fields.  Though this was not sanctioned by the employer - her parents snuck her and her siblings in - this brought the issue of child labor into a stark reality for me.  I too grew up picking blueberries.  But for me this represents cherished family time and fun excursions not labor.

Mink's article helped me to further understand the tension between classes within feminism - something I still have trouble understanding why it exists.  Mink outlined very clearly that for upper class women working is often the desired privilege while for lower class women not-working, mothering, is the privilege.  This creates a lack of solidarity within the community as welfare issues are not supported the elite women.  Mink argues that mothering should be accommodated for legally and financially.  Though I agree on many levels I do not like Mink's prioritization of women as caregivers.  Though I understand that this often is the case, men can - and I believe should - participate equally in this role.  Mink allows for this by noting that "Men can mother, too" (p. 63).  At first I thought, or father.  But then I realized that mothering and fathering has different implications about roles and level of involvement beyond simply the gender of the actor.  I can understand why Mink would not use father in this instance because it has different implications.  However, I think this is one of the problems, that the work that men and women do in the home is seen as vastly different.  For this reason, I think we should focus analysis on care-giving, not on mothering, and thereby more broadly extend this label to both/all genders and encourage males to participate.

1 comment:

  1. In response to the first part of April's post, I too was shocked that Eang had to work picking blueberries as a child. It surprised me that her family was the reason she was working there. Like April, this article made me think about child labor. Ever since we did that sweatshop project in class I have been more wary of where my clothes are coming from and who is making them. I do not like thinking that the clothes I buy promotes unfair child labor that causes many issues in society and for those children. I was reminded of a advertisement I saw for Nike including a child working at some type of machine with the slogan "Just Do It" printed above. Though the advertisement is in black and white, the child looks very young and also seems to have some Asian features. This advertisement not only made me mad but also sadly holds truth to it. Many corporations have factories in Asia countries where they can use cheap child labor in order to save and earn more money. I am astonished by the rate at which child labor is used and think that if something is not done soon, things will only get worse.

    The Nike Advertisement - http://www.glogster.com/media/4/29/98/43/29984314.jpg

    ReplyDelete