Monday, January 31, 2011

Follow Up Post: Douglas, Walker, Baumgardner, and Richards

In this excerpt Rebecca Walker’s recount of obnoxiously loud sexist males on a train, jumps out at me because it reminds me of personal anecdotes. Living in the Bronx, sexist remarks and the objectifications of women are bluntly apparent. Walking down the streets of the Bronx as a female you are subject to catcalls and obnoxious remarks from males. I would often try to ignore such comments. However, Walker defines feminism as, “[integrating] an ideology or equality and female empowerment into the very fiber of my life” (Freedman, 400). Reading this made me rethink how I would address these types of situations. I completely agree with Walker’s statement that, “I have come to voice again, and this time my voice is not conciliatory”(Freedman, 400). Here Walker is saying that women should not be passive, but instead, address sexism head on. I would like to be that type of feminist; however, this is easier said than done.

In this excerpt, Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards create a Third Wave Manifesta. Something that I found interesting was number nine of the list. It reads, “For women who so desire to participate in all reaches of the military, including combat, and to enjoy all the benefits (loans, health care, pensions) offer to its members for as long as we continue to have an active military. The largest expenditure of our national budget goes towards maintaining this welfare system, and feminist have a duty to make sure women have access to every echelon”(Freedman, 426). This is so striking to me because I had no idea that women in the military were not receiving these befits. It makes me wonder how well women in the military are being treated in other circumstances. This connects to the Tailhook scandal in Enlightened Sexism. The fact that male military personnel could strip, rape and molest 26 women and then try to cover it up, is ridiculous. To make matters worse, 14 of these women were officers.

In Enlightened Sexism, Douglas’ examination of popular 90”s television shows such as 90210, was eye-opening for me. I had never noticed how much gender played a role in 90210. For instance, “Early plot lines for Brenda keep her in the ladies room: shoplifting clothes, having a sleepover party, finding a lump in her breast. No school newspaper or soccer for her. And the one academically ambitious girl Andrea (Gabrielle Carteris) is, yes, Jewish, wears glasses, and is poor. Oy gevalt”(Douglas, 30). Meanwhile, Brandon is conveyed as academically ambitious and hardworking.

I grew up watching and loving this show as a child:

90210 Opening Credits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNmmAcrjtOQ

No comments:

Post a Comment